Friday, March 30, 2012

Friday March 30th, 2012

     The term avant-garde for me really resonates a change in outlook.  I feel it is being on the cusp of what's next in art work and what society will accept as art.  Knowing that avant garde is pushing the boundaries of what is acceptable in society, has me stepping back and looking at much of the modern art.  I see dark dreary and desperate really are a big part of at least what I see published.  It's kind of scary for me as most of this dark art involves all sorts of mutilation and awkward positions, blood and just about anything to make you revile it.  I would prefer that it be taken as an "out of the box" thought process and approach to art.  Seems most items are there for "shock" value.
      Having not lived through different art periods, I believe maybe I would have felt the same back then, that all these new artists are just trying to "shock me."  I'm kind of wishing that things would stay similar and that the avant garde effect be lessened.  I take the side of let's push the limits with materials and colors, but not to the point of disgust for an artist.  There is a peace and tranquility I strive for in art and the "stick it to the man" approach only works for me if they are reaching deeper into thought, not a cry for help from the psych ward.
That being said, some avant garde of our age is quite intriguing, but you won't find me gloating over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment